posted on: February 27, 2013

The idea of combining 2 actual meals into one blog post certainly came from recently celebrated Valentine's day.

I know that mostly people tend to cook cute cupcakes or chocolate pizzas - but if I wanted to celebrate the day with my beloved I would love to have something I can't live without (besides my beloved, of course :)). First thing to come to my mind - sandwiches. Perfect meal to adjust and make a "his" and "her" version.

"For Him" Sandwich

Unbelievably filling while absolutely meatless this sandwich is like a vegetarian version of Sloppy Joes. Inspired by A Couple Cooks' wonderful recipe.

Ingredients (serves 4):

3 cups cooked beans (I used soya and kidney beans)
1 cup canned tomatoes, roughly chopped, reserve the juice
1 yellow onion
1 celery stalk
3 tablespoons tomato juice (reserved from canned tomatoes)
2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon brown sugar
2 teaspoons paprika
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 teaspoon garlic powder
olive oil
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper


Chop your onion and celery, heat olive oil over medium heat and add the vegetables to the pan. Cook them just until tender for 5 min, add beans, sauces and spices, mix well and simmer for 15 min. Serve on pieces of whole wheat bread.

"For Her" Sandwich

Thinking of "her" version I remembered my constant search for a light sandwich. Without meat or cheese but still filling and certainly healthy. I love egg and tuna sandwiches but mayo is what one should hardly ever eat. Home-made mayo can be fine but store-bought... no, that's really not healthy. I had been looking for a proper mayo substitute for a while and I found a number of options, surprisingly they all appeared to be the simpliest things you can ever cook - here I will make "mayo" of just plain greek yogurt, salt and white wine vinegar.

Ingredients (serves 4):

4 hardboiled eggs
1 ripe avocado
1 small red onion
3-4 tablespoons plain greek yogurt
a splash of white wine vinegar
a pinch of sea salt


Finely chop the eggs, avocado and onion. In a cup mix well greek yogurt, white wine vinegar and a pinch of sea salt. Taste it and if necessary adjust the quantities of ingredients. For me 3 tablespoons yogurt, 1 tablespoon vinegar and a pinch of salt work perfectly. Dress the salad with this "mayo" and serve with toasted or simply fresh whole wheat bread.

Bon App├ętit!

0 comm.:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.

GOOD FOOD All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger