FOR HIM. FOR HER. SANDWICHES

posted on: February 27, 2013

The idea of combining 2 actual meals into one blog post certainly came from recently celebrated Valentine's day.

I know that mostly people tend to cook cute cupcakes or chocolate pizzas - but if I wanted to celebrate the day with my beloved I would love to have something I can't live without (besides my beloved, of course :)). First thing to come to my mind - sandwiches. Perfect meal to adjust and make a "his" and "her" version.



"For Him" Sandwich

Unbelievably filling while absolutely meatless this sandwich is like a vegetarian version of Sloppy Joes. Inspired by A Couple Cooks' wonderful recipe.



Ingredients (serves 4):

3 cups cooked beans (I used soya and kidney beans)
1 cup canned tomatoes, roughly chopped, reserve the juice
1 yellow onion
1 celery stalk
3 tablespoons tomato juice (reserved from canned tomatoes)
2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon brown sugar
2 teaspoons paprika
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 teaspoon garlic powder
olive oil
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

Directions:

Chop your onion and celery, heat olive oil over medium heat and add the vegetables to the pan. Cook them just until tender for 5 min, add beans, sauces and spices, mix well and simmer for 15 min. Serve on pieces of whole wheat bread.

"For Her" Sandwich

Thinking of "her" version I remembered my constant search for a light sandwich. Without meat or cheese but still filling and certainly healthy. I love egg and tuna sandwiches but mayo is what one should hardly ever eat. Home-made mayo can be fine but store-bought... no, that's really not healthy. I had been looking for a proper mayo substitute for a while and I found a number of options, surprisingly they all appeared to be the simpliest things you can ever cook - here I will make "mayo" of just plain greek yogurt, salt and white wine vinegar.




Ingredients (serves 4):

4 hardboiled eggs
1 ripe avocado
1 small red onion
3-4 tablespoons plain greek yogurt
a splash of white wine vinegar
a pinch of sea salt

Directions:

Finely chop the eggs, avocado and onion. In a cup mix well greek yogurt, white wine vinegar and a pinch of sea salt. Taste it and if necessary adjust the quantities of ingredients. For me 3 tablespoons yogurt, 1 tablespoon vinegar and a pinch of salt work perfectly. Dress the salad with this "mayo" and serve with toasted or simply fresh whole wheat bread.

Bon Appétit!

0 comm.:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.

GOOD FOOD All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger